Our Philanthropic Partner in the Campus Planning Process: Cushman Design Group
This plan could not have taken shape without the philanthropic leadership of Cushman Design Group*, whose work will ensure that the distinctive sense of place and community that has distinguished VSC since 1984 will endure for generations to come.
Developed together over two years of intensive study, reflection, and design work, this comprehensive and ambitious plan reflects our shared commitment to energy efficiency, building integrity, universal accessibility, privacy, tranquility, health, safety, and the Vermont traditions of modesty, simplicity, and economy.
The principles guiding the campus planning process aim to:
- Preserve the historic integrity and beauty of the VSC campus
- Celebrate a sense of place in Johnson and Vermont
- Insist on the health and human safety of the VSC community
- Be mindful of VSC’s role as a neighbor in Johnson
- Think forward about VSC’s program and corresponding space requirements
- Reduce VSC’s impact on the environment
- Minimize moisture in foundations and structures
- Care for structural integrity and modernize systems
- Build in maintenance and service efficiencies
- Foster privacy, silence, and tranquility inside and out
- Strengthen VSC’s green spaces and riverbanks
- Stabilize long-term operational and energy costs
- Consider adjacent properties and protection
- Extend VSC’s tradition of modesty and simplicity
*Milford Cushman and Terri Gregory's contribution to this project, which has been donated entirely in-kind, is currently in excess of $175,000 and will total approximately $300,000, spread out on an as needed basis over 12 year time frame or until the VSC Master Plan is implemented.